Buying a BBQ can be tricky unless you don’t know what you’re looking for. You walk into different stores only to find bbq grills ranging from $200 to $10,000. But is there a difference between these grills?
Do they have the same features and accessories? Should I invest in expensive grills or buy the cheapest bbq I can find? To help you decide if expensive grills are worth investing in, let’s find the answer below!
Are Expensive Grills Worth It?
Expensive grills are a good investment if you’re looking for a grill that can last for many years and come with features that are easy to use. Usually, expensive grills are made of high-quality materials that offer durability. They are equipped with the latest technology, such as timers and temperature gauges.
To know if expensive grills are worth it, let’s know their features and if they last longer.
Do More Expensive Grills Last Longer?
Like any product, spending more on bbq grills means better quality materials and craftsmanship, which means they last longer. Most of the features of expensive grills are better than their cheaper counterparts, leveling up your grilling experience.
For instance, an expensive grill means high-quality gas burners. When you have better burners, there’s no need to control the temperature range. They also have a large grill area where you can cook more food and find the right temperature.
Here are some notable features to note with expensive grills:
As mentioned a while ago, expensive bbq grills are made from high-quality materials, resulting in a better grilling experience. It also means they are more durable, so your high-end bbq will last longer than a cheaper grill.
Since they are made from quality construction, the gas burners will not rust quickly, unlike their cheaper counterparts. The grill’s body is more durable, too, ensuring that your BBQ is fully protected from harsh elements.
When you buy expensive grills, expect a good quality grill that can last for years. In fact, you can save more on buying expensive grills over time compared to cheap grills that require frequent repair and maintenance.
Most cheap barbeques will start to rust after a couple of months outdoors, meaning you will replace them sooner or later. If you add these costs, over time, you can save more if you have already invested in a good quality grill.
Good quality burners
The burner is the most essential element of a grill. When it comes to cheaper gas grills, there are chances that the burners will be made of low-grade stainless steel or aluminium. This means that it will rust faster and may only last for a few months.
One great way to check is by testing it with a magnet. If the magnet is attracted to the stainless steel of the burner or any other part of the grill, it’s of lesser grade, meaning it has less chromium and nickel.
Most cheap gas grills pack a burner made of 430 stainless, so if you choose this, expect to replace the burner in due time. In addition, most affordable grills come with an H burner, controlled by only one knob.
On the other hand, expensive grills won’t pack a burner that will rust in the blink of an eye. They are often made from thicker gauge stainless steel, where they can last for years. Look for burners with 304 grades to know that you’re getting something that can last longer.
Moreover, unlike cheap grills, you can expect multiple burners with individual controls when you pay extra. This means that you can control the heat in different grill zones.
Expect to have more features in an expensive grill that offer more convenience when you grill. Consider yourself lucky if you find a grill with a thermometer for under $100. When looking for a good grill, pay attention to the cooking area, component, and build quality.
You will get what you pay for when it comes to grills. They come with upgrades that extend beyond better construction. Of course, each model will vary, meaning you won’t find exactly all the features in every grill.
With that said, here are some features you will enjoy if you go for an expensive grill.
- Wood chip smoker tray
- Interior lights
- Light up control knobs
- Side burners
- Convection fans
- Sear burners
- Fuel gauge
After knowing all this stuff, you’ve probably wondered how expensive is a good quality grill. To know how much should you pay for a grill, get an idea below.
How Much Should I Pay For A Grill?
You’re about to buy your next grill but started thinking about the price? Your budget will determine the quality of the grill that you buy.
Obviously, inexpensive grills are made from cheap materials, so they will not be as durable as grills that cost more. If you’re lucky, you can still find good quality despite its cheap price.
To keep things simple, here are some common price points to relate to the grills today:
- Below $150: At this price, you’ll find entry-level grills designed for first-time grillers and anyone with a tight budget.
- Around $900: When shopping for grills around this price, you can get a good mid-range grill made from durable materials and has plenty of cooking area.
- Above $1500: This is the higher end of mid-range or lower premium. They are constructed with better materials, higher quality fit, finish, and unique features.
In addition, the type of grill you want should also be considered. There are three kinds of grills available on the market: charcoal grill, gas grill, and electric grill.
When considering a charcoal grill, here are some thee features to look for:
- They must have good air circulation: The bottom of the charcoal grill should have vents that allow air to flow in and up through the charcoal.
- They must have a temperature gauge: Good quality charcoal grills must have a built-in temperature, so you can monitor how hot inside the grill is.
- They must have an ash catcher: This tray catches the ashes as they fall from the charcoal.
For gas grills, here are four features to consider:
- They must have a good heat control: Most gas grills should have controls that allow you to regulate the amount of heat produced while cooking the meat.
- They have durable construction: The body of the propane grill is made from premium grade stainless steel that will not rust. The grates are also made from heavy-duty stainless steel or cast iron.
- They have a temperature gauge: When looking for a gas grill, it’s essential to have a built-in temperature gauge, so you can see how hot it is inside the grill. Gas grills use lower temperatures and produce less smoke.
Lastly, for electric grills, consider these three features:
- They have good heat control: A good quality electric grill should have controls that allow you to regulate the amount of heat inside.
- They are made from heavy-duty construction: The grill’s body should be made from high-grade steel that will not warp or rust. Hence, this will provide more durable construction.
Deciding On Your Next Grill?
If you’re tired of wasting money on cheap grills that don’t last, you should consider the Z Grills. It’s built with great quality in mind and if you check out the reviews, you’ll see Aussies raving about the quality.
The best part of our grills is the wood-fired flavour it imparts into the food you cook on it. Our BBQs are equipped with smart controllers that regulate the temperature and take away all the guesswork in maintaining a wood fire so you can focus on cooking. It’s awesome for grilling some quick snags and smoking low and slow.
Don’t hesitate to give us a call or chat with us when you’re ready for your next grilling purchase.