These restaurant-quality low and slow lamb shanks are super easy to whip together and will make you think twice before ordering shanks on your next night out.
- 6 Lamb shanks
- 2 onions
- 1 bottle of cheap red wine
- 1 litre of vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
- Fire up your Z Grill pellet smoker and preheat to 190°C.
- Season shanks well and sear in a heavy and oven-safe pot. A Dutch oven or cast iron pot will be perfect for this. You can do this in your Z Grill at high but it will be much easier to perform this step on your kitchen stove.
- Once your Z Grill is up to temperature and you have a lovely brown colour on the surface of the shanks, add the wine and stock into your pot and place it in your Z Grill with the lid on.
- After 2 hours remove the lid and continue to cook on the Z Grill for another 2 hours.
- For bigger shanks it may need another 20-30 minutes. You want the meat to almost be falling off the bone.
- Remove shanks and reduce leftover liquid on a stove. You can optionally add some flour to thicken the gravy at this step.
- Shanks are best served with a bed of mash and some greens on the side.