Michael Lamari – Townsville
- 350 grams of mushrooms (portobello is best)
- 3 scallions (shallots)
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 1kg pork and veal mince (could use just beef mince if you wanted)
- 1 cup teriyaki sauce or marinade
- 2 tbsp honey
- salt to taste
- In a blender or food processor blitz up mushrooms, scallions and garlic cloves
- Once they are chopped up finely, mix in with the mince and panko crumbs
- Take 2-3 tbsp of the mixture and form into a meatball. Repeat this process until all mixture is used, then place in a fridge for 30 minutes to an hour to allow them to set.
- Pre heat your Z Grill to 190 degrees, once preheated places the meatballs directly on the grill grate (I sprayed my grill with a bit of oil before i started it up to prevent them from sticking)
- While they are cooking its time to make the sauce, mix together the teriyaki sauce and the honey set over low heat, once it has formed a nice thick glaze it’s ready.
- After 10 minutes its time to turn the meatballs over, leave for another 10 minutes and baste the glaze over them, you are looking for an internal temp of 73 degrees for doneness.
Note I had my cast iron going on the grill as well with some mixed vegies. If you want to do this process, put the pan on the grill before the the meatballs and let it heat up for 5-10 minutes before putting the vegies on, and also allow them an extra 5 minutes cooking time.