Preparing a feast on your Z Grill pellet smoker but feel like something is missing? These super easy homemade dinner rolls are a great way to top it off. It goes well with everything from curries to pulled pork sliders.
- 4 -5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp rapid rise
- instant yeast
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 5 tbsp softened butter
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- Heat the milk up to 44°C either on a stovetop or in your microwave.
- Combine 3 cups of flour, instant yeast, sugar, salt, warm milk, butter, and egg in the bowl of your standing mixer.
- Attach your dough hook and switch your mixer to the lowest speed. Mix until flour is incorporated. Be sure to scrape the side of the bowl down as necessary.
- Increase speed to medium and mix for another 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the remaining cup of flour, 1/2 cup at a time and mix until fully incorporated.
- Mix at medium for another 2 minutes until ball of dough is formed. Add additional flour as necessary. the dough should be soft and slightly sticky but you should still be able to pull it away from the edge of the bowl.
- Transfer dough into a lightly greased bowl and cover with a towel or plastic wrap. Let it rise for 30 minutes at room temperature. During that time, you can fire up your Z Grill pellet smoker and preheat it up to 176 °C.
- Remove the towel or plastic wrap and deflate the dough by punching down lightly.
- Pinch off pieces of the dough and form 24 rolls. You can weigh them to keep the rolls roughly the same size.
- Transfer the rolls to a cast iron pan or baking tray. Cover and let it rise for another 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Bake the rolls in your Z Grill for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. If rolls are getting too brown too quickly, you can cover the rolls in foil for the remaining time it is in your Z Grill.
- Serve dinner rolls warm.