Easter 2020, so perfect time to give hot cross buns baked on the Z Grills a go! I realised afterwards that I used an extra half cup of flour in the dough that was meant for the white crosses, which explains why they were a bit too big, but otherwise they turned out pretty good.
I definitely suggest eating them the same day as baked while still nice an moist.
- 4 cups plain flour
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 14 grams dried yeast
- 40g butter
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 tspn all spice
- 2 cups currants (very fruity)
- 3 tbspn apricot jam
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 4 tablespoons of water (as required for thin paste)
MAKE THE DOUGH
- Mix 4 cups of flour, yeast, sugar, all spice, salt and currants in a large bowl.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over a medium heat and add the milk.
- Add warm milk mixture and eggs to the bowl.
- Use a flat bladed knife to mix the dough until it almost comes together, then using clean hands, finish mixing to a soft dough.
- Place dough on floured surface and knead until dough is smooth (5-10minutes).
- Oil a large bowl (at least 2-3 times the size of the dough) and cover with plastic wrap.
- Place in warm, draught free location for 60-90 unites or until dough has doubled in size.
- Line a large (about 30 x 25cm ) baking tray with baking paper.
- Punch the dough down to its original size and then knead for 30 seconds on a lightly floured surface until smooth.
- Divide into 12 even portions and shape each portion into a ball. Tip: Cut in half, half again and then thirds to get 12.
- Use a large (about 30 x 25cm ) baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Place balls onto the tray with even spacing.
- Cover with oiled cling wrap and put in warm, draught free location for about 30 minutes, or until the buns double in size.
- Preheat the Z Grill to 176ºC / 350ºF
- Make the flour for the cross by mixing ½ cup plain flour and 4 tablespoons of water together, mixing until smooth.
- Using spoon put the mix into a small zip-lock bag and cut off one corner to make a piping bag.
- Pipe the flour paste on the buns to form crosses.
BAKE & GLAZE
- Place tray into the pre-heated Z Grill and cook for 25-30 minutes until they start to turn a golden brown. Check with temp probe or skewer to see if done (no dough on skewer when removed).
- Once the buns are nearly cooked, add the apricot jam and water into saucepan on low low heat and stir until the jam dissolves then boil for 3-4 minutes until thickened up.
- Brush the glaze over warm hot cross buns.
- Serve while still warm. Also great if cut in half and toasted under a grill.